The following discourse has been translated into English from Bhagavan's Telugu speech as heard on this festival's ashram audiocassette. It is a complete, literal translation made with the objective of preserving Bhagavan's precious original poetic style as much as possible.
Avatar Day
October 20th, 2002
On Sunday October 20th, a collar pin fell down and it wasn’t seen. The pin of relationship with the world was removed. Seeing the holy spot of Hampi, maya was removed, and I left the house.
(Swami sings a Telugu poem)

Embodiments of Love!
While I was in Uravakonda the corporation commissioner was in Bellary. One night he had a dream. Somebody said, “You go to such and such a (house) number, to such and such a house, and bring Sathyam.” At that same time his wife Lakshmi Devi also had a dream, “Mother, both of you go. Go and bring Sathyam.”
They came. They thought that Sathyam was such a big man and such a great man. Now I am five feet tall. In those days I was even shorter! I was wearing a small knicker (shorts) and a shirt. I was 12 years old. I came outside.
As soon as they saw (Me), both the commissioner and the commissioner’s wife said, “He is the one we saw in the dream!” They were very happy and did shastanga namaskaar (prostrating completely with all limbs flat on the ground) in the street. I was then taking two books to school. Then (I was in the) 4th class.
Alright, they came and they took hold of the brother of this body, Seshama Raju. They said, “Whatever it takes, today you (P) must take a holiday and bring Sathyam to Bellary.” Alright, he made all arrangements. “When a corporation commissioner, a big officer, asks in this way, it is not possible for me to say no.” Thinking that, he (Seshama Raju) also accepted (the proposal) and immediately went to the principal. In this way, (Seshama Raju told the principal), “The commissioner is asking to bring Sathyam to Bellary. Without fail leave must be given.”
In those days Kameshwara Rao was headmaster in the primary school. Then he said, “Sathyam may be taken not only to Bellary, but to anywhere else also. There is no need to ask me.” He gave his car and sent (Me) in the car and took (Me) to Bellary. In Bellary they kept (Me) in their house for three days.

Thinking it was very close from there, they took (Me) to Virupaksha temple (in the town of Hampi). Then Seshama Raju and his wife went inside. They said, “We will go and have darshan of Virupaksha. You stay near the luggage.” I accepted saying, “Alright, I will stay here”
Both of them went inside the temple. When they went in the inner sanctorum, they saw as if I Myself was standing there! (Applause) Seshama Raju had many doubts. “What is this, though He was told to stay outside, why did He come here?” (Laughter) He came outside again and looked. I was sitting there. Then he went inside, I was there. (Applause) However, his doubts didn’t yet go. He told his wife to go outside. “You stay near Sathyam. See that Sathyam doesn’t move. I will go inside.” Saying that, he went inside. Then also I was there smiling.
Both of those who came with us, the commissioner (and his wife), also saw. After coming outside, he caught hold of Seshama Raju’s hands and said, “Raju, you are making a big mistake. He is not your brother. He is not an ordinary individual. You are making a mistake due to the individual feeling. This is a great Divine Power. (Applause)
Alright, then we came back home, ate meals, and we started off to Uravakonda.


Coming from Hampi, Baba went to school. The collar pin fell down there and it wasn’t seen (again).
(Swami sings a Telugu poem)

He (the commissioner) said, “What should be given to Raju?” I said that I wouldn’t take anything. He said that he would have four shirts and four knickers sewn. “Not four; I won't accept even one.” His wife said, “That’s enough, it’s not right if it is forced.”
Children of those days put pins on their collars. If one wore a collar pin, others used to call them great people (it was a matter of prestige, as a decorative piece). He went quickly and brought a gold collar pin and put it on My collar. I will never touch anyone’s things. Alright, after arriving here, Seshama Raju said, “He gave it. Don’t be disrespectful. Keep the collar pin on.” I put it on and went to school.

Baba came from Hampi. When going to school, the collar pin fell down there and wasn’t seen. That day the change occurred. The pin of relationship with the world was removed.
(Swami sings a Telugu poem)

The whole relationship with the world is equal to a pin for Me. (Applause) That was removed. I said, “I have to go to remove the suffering of devotees.” I threw away the books there.
There was an excise commissioner Hanumantha Rao there. I went to his garden. He was an ardent devotee. “Ayyo (oh)! Raju came, Raju came!” Saying this, he told his wife and they prepared some things to eat. No one touched that. No one touched any preparation.
Seshama Raju came. “Sathyam, let’s go home, let’s go home!” He gave a lot of pressure. I said, “I won't come.” I never had the nature to give an answer (talk back). When that answer was given, he was very surprised. “Where did Sathyam get so much courage?” While smiling and smiling, the radiance from My face covered him.
Immediately he came home and he sent a telegram to Puttaparthi. In those days if a telegram had to come to Puttaparthi, it would take a week. He told a boy from the school and he sent it with him. It said, “Both should come immediately.” Who? Easwaramma and Pedda Venkama Raju. It said, “Both of you should start and come.”
Both of them came there. When they saw on the second day, they were in Seshama Raju’s house. He took both of them and they came to the Anjaneyulu’s house. “Son, let us go to elder brother’s house. Let’s go, come!” Saying that, Easwaramma cried a lot. I said, “I won't come anywhere. If you want (Me) to come so much, I will come with you to Puttaparthi. I will come there and give joy to the villagers. Afterwards I will go as I wish.”

The second day there was the school prayer. At the time of the school prayer, it was only I who should do the prayer daily. Lakshmipati used to request, “Even if you are a young boy, it doesn’t matter. Your prayers enter into our hearts.” I used to do the prayer every day. That day, they arranged a bus saying that, “You have to come to Puttaparthi.” All the school children sat saying, “We are coming (with You).”
(Swami says the following line with His voice cracking in emotion.) Everyone sat crying. No one went to the prayer. There was one boy, Ramesh, who always used to sit near Swami on the bench. He learned My songs so he went up the steps and started (tried to begin) to sing the (prayer) song on the stage.
When he started the prayer, (Swami voice cracks for the next three sentences) he cried very loud. Everyone cried. This is because Raju wasn’t there. “We don’t need this prayer!” Everyone wanted to come (to Puttaparthi). But who will (be able to) come to this village? It would be very difficult. I told Kameshwar Rao very strongly to convinve them. They went away from there.

On My desk, while I sat in the centre, both Ramesh and Paresh (Suresh) (sat by My side), one sat on this side and the other sat on that side. One time the public examination came up, ESLC. While in the classroom I used to tell all the answers (to Ramesh and Paresh). They were suffering a lot (because of the public examination). One got (seat number) 108, another got 95, and another got 5. Each one sat in a different place. “What will be our plight?” Thinking that, they felt very bad.
I told them, “You (P) don’t need to write anything. I will write. With empty hands just pretend as if you kept it (the answer sheet on the table) and come back (outside, after the examination). (Applause)
I wrote all the answers on My paper in ten minutes. They gave two hours to complete the paper. On another paper, I wrote all of Ramesh’s answers in Ramesh’s handwriting. On the bottom I wrote, ‘Ramesh’. Then on another one, I wrote another answer sheet in Paresh’s handwriting. I also wrote his signature.
In the circumstances of those days, as soon as the examination ended, the second day they used to tell the results. The answer sheets didn’t need to go anywhere (distant, like to) Delhi and Hyderabad. The results came. The three of us got first (class).
Here a lot of confusion came up. To think that, ‘Did they copy from one another,’ one was (seated in place) 100, one was 96 and another was 8. In that way the numbers were all different. How would it be possible to see (the other’s paper)? It was not possible. Their signature was also present.
In this way, in Uravakonda and on the public road, they carried the three of us in procession. Both of them were such close children (to Me). They were aged 12 and 14.
I left Uravakonda. Paresh became insane saying, “Raju, Raju, Raju, Raju!” Ramesh went to a well and fell in there. He fell in the well and gave up his life. (He said,) “Without Raju I won't come to school.” This other boy was the same. Saying, “Raju, Raju, Raju, Raju, Raju,” he became insane. They put him in a mental hospital. His insanity was not cured.
Both his mother and father came and asked for Me (saying), “At least if he sees Your (P) face, he might be happy. Come once!” They took Me to the mental hospital in Bellary. As soon as I went there, saying, “Raju, Raju, Raju, Raju!”, he yelled, cried and he fell on (My) feet and left his life. In that way, they surrendered to Swami. They (Ramesh and Paresh) used to say, “We should always be with You. Leaving You, we cannot survive for a moment.”

After I came here to Puttaparthi, Subbamma gave one acre of land near the Satyamma temple. For that a small house was built. At that time, both of them (Ramesh and Paresh) came to Me as two puppies. The Mysore Raju’s younger sister thought that these two (puppies) were very cute. She gave them the names of Jack and Jill. People used to call them, “Jack and Jill, Jack and Jill, Jack and Jill!”
The sister of the Mysore Rani was a big rani. She kept very private. Whenever she was observed, she was doing pujas. If she wanted to do puja, first water should be poured on the tree. After sprinkling the water, milk should be sprinkled. After sprinkling milk, she would touch it with her hands and pluck the flowers. She used to do puja with those flowers.
Such a lady, wanting to see Swami, came up to Karnatakapalli in the car. Then there were no roads to Puttaparthi. She came from there to the Old Mandir, meaning now, it is the Kalyan Mandapam (marriage hall). In the past there was a very small shed there.
She came, she did namaskaar to Swami, and said she had to go. I said, “Stay one night. The driver has to go, doesn’t he? He has to repair the car, doesn’t he?”
Here, there was a washerman Subbanna, a very faithful man. Swami was dear to him like his own life. He used to look after the Patha Mandir very well, morning and evening.
The driver ate meals and was going to Karnatakapalli. I told Jack, “Jack, see, our man (friend) is going. You go with him. Then Jack went with him. The whole night he laid down under the car. Again in the early morning when (the driver was) getting up, Rani has to go, doesn’t she? For that, he tried to start the car. He started it and made the car to go just a short distance.
Jack was lying down under the tire of the car. The tire rolled over its stomach and his back bone was broken. Yelling and yelling, it crawled and crawled from there and came, paapam (poor thing)!
Then Subbanna came and said, “Swami, Jack is suffering a lot. Some danger happened.” While saying that, he came. I came outside. (Swami’s voice cracks for the next two sentences) He was coming crying and crying. He came and came, fell on Swami’s feet, and left its life.
That brindavan (structure built to house a sacred tulasi plant) put in the back (of the Old Mandir) is Jack’s samadhi (tomb). (Note: often graves in India are covered with a tulasi plant on top of them.) It wasn’t built in the centre. I said, “Build it a little to the side. There should also be a second samadhi here.”
Alright, after a few days, because Jack died, not eating food, crying and crying, Jill also left her life. The samadhi of both of them is the brindavan in the back of the Old Mandir. In that way, wanting to stay near Swami, Ramesh and Paresh did so much austerity and they even took birth as dogs and stayed in Prasanthi Nilayam.
These types of changes happened in Uravakonda in the very beginning. The situation of the children, the collar pin falling, not going to school, the parents coming, and bringing Me here: based on these causes Swami left Uravakonda in this way. From then onwards, many cars from Bangalore and Mysore began to come.

There was one lady (referred to as) coffee powder Sakamma. There were also the Ranis. There was also Desaraj Arasu, the maternal uncle of Mysore Maharaj. They all came and said, “Swami, it is very difficult for all of us to come here, you (P) come to Mysore. We will even give (You) a palace.” I said, “A Palace is not important to Me. So, I have to stay here.”
That night Easwaramma came and cried. She said, “Swami, all are coming and asking (You to go away). For their own selfishness, they are taking You (P) away, saying, ‘Come, come!’ If You (P) leave Puttaparthi, I won't live. Therefore, You (P) should stay in Puttaparthi. Give me Your (P) word.”
I gave the word, “Any day I will not leave Puttaparthi.” (Applause) For that reason, in Puttaparthi only I built a big building and provided conveniences for all the devotees who came, providing the appropriate sevas.
Then only, thinking that it wasn’t good to have only this small shack, thinking that a small building should be built, thinking that it shouldn’t be near the village, the maternal uncle of the Maharaja and Sakamma, all of them came to this area and took measurements, and they said that ten acres should be acquired.

Here, at the time of building this Prasanthi Nilayam, truly, the one who was here with such devotion and sraddha was Vittal Rao. He wasn’t only an ardent devotee, he was also a big officer. He was a forest officer during the British time. He said, “Swami, I will look after this.” Jayamma (Prof. Jayalakshmi Gopinath) talked for a long time here. Her father is Vittal Rao. (Applause) He looked after the construction of this Mandir.
Afterwards RN Rao from Madras, Neeladri Rao, the son-in-law of Pithapuram Maharaj and the son-in-law of Baroda Maharaja, also came here and looked after (the construction of) this building. Due to all of them coming together here in this way, the buildings were completed very fast.
Not only this, in those days there was war. It was the World War. At that time even a piece of iron couldn’t be obtained (very easily). In this way they somehow got it (obtained the needed materials for construction) and built it very well with a lot of sraddha.
Until this was completed, they had the word (promise) that Swami shouldn’t come here., I will always conduct Myself according to the word that I give to every person, the devotees. I don’t need anything at all. I have no aspirations. I have no desires. From the Feet to the Head I won't hold onto any desire.
Therefore, both of them exerted a lot night and day and they paid daily labourers and they completed it.
However, Jayamma was a small child then. Her father brought the car, saying, “I have to go to Puttaparthi, as today the labourers must be paid.” They used to come on every Sunday to give the labourers money. Jayamma used to be insistent, saying, “I also must come, I also must come!” Jayamma was very dear to Vittal Rao. They did some cooking in Bangalore, put it in the car, and they used to bring it.
In this way, the relationship with Swami is present even today. They have stayed with Me for 55 years. The family of Jayamma have been doing seva for the last 60 years. They came to Me at (when I was) 17 years old. Now (I’m) 77. Hence, it has been 60 years. She developed very noble feelings by coming, learning and singing Swami’s bhajans. Such a close relationship developed due to things going on like this.
Hence, whatever it is, nothing will be acquired without praapti. It doesn't come by desiring. It doesn’t go if one doesn’t want it. All of this is only the result of good merit from previous lives. In this way, the people of that house obtained so much merit and so much praapti.

When Jayamma talked so much about, “Venkamma Garu, Venkamma Garu, Venkamma Garu,” I also became so much like this (touched or affected). Venkamma Garu used to always bring food for Me here. Wanting to learn to cook from Venkamma Garu, Jayamma Garu also used to go around with Venkamma Garu. That kind of friendship existed between the two.
Then after some time, Paramatma also came. Meaning, she was Venkamma’s younger sister. Even Paramatma Garu (brought food). Swami’s food was brought in the morning by one, in the evening by the other, in the morning one and in the evening by the other. Their desire was: “The circumstances of the times isn’t proper. Swami should not eat just anyone’s cooking. He should eat only our food.” They took such a promise (from Me). Hence, until they left their life, they did seva to Me.
They both left their life in Bangalore. They were in Manipal hospital. They were brought from here. When they brought Venkamma, she wasn’t conscious. She didn’t even open her eyes.
I went. I said, “Venkamma!” She opened her eyes. She opened her eyes and she saw Swami. She took hold of My Hands. She did namaskaar by taking My two Hands and putting them on her eyes. She shed tears and she gave up her life.
It happened in that same way with Parvatamma, there in Bangalore only. She was the same thing. She came unconscious. When she came (was brought to Bangalore), I went there. I said, “Paramatma, Paramatma!” She was the same. She opened her eyes, she shed tears and she left her life.
As long as they were alive, they used to bring food for Swami, one in the morning and one in the evening. All of this is only the merit from past births but it is not something that comes through one’s efforts. In this way, even though they had so much illness, without caring about it, they used to do seva to Swami. Their lives were sanctified.

Karnam Subbamma was the same. Though Karnam Subbamma wasn’t physically related (to Swami), she had much mental affinity. “Swami, Swami, Swami, Swami,” always she was saying, “Swami, Swami, Swami.” Finally she asked (Me) to stay in her house. She said that she would empty everything out and give it (to Me).
Many relatives came. “You are a Brahman and they are Kshatriyas. How can you leave the house?” Numerous people thus argued with her. “I don’t need anyone at all. It is enough if I have Swami. For me, no one need to give children. There is no need for me to give my children. I won’t go to anyone’s house. No one need come to my house. It is enough for me if Swami is here.” She made that determination.
Finally she only asked for one thing: “Swami, in the end when I am leaving my life, I have to see Your beautiful face.” (I agreed, saying,) “Alright.”
Devotees took (Me) to Madras on some work. Subbamma also went to Bukkapatnam. She was in the house of her mother. However, it was very difficult to come and go (to different places) in those days. Alright, I came from Madras. When I came, Subbamma left her life when we were coming here. They were arranging wood (for cremation) there.
As soon as they saw Me they said, “Swami, Swami, Swami! Your (P) Subbamma left her life last night!” Then as I was coming this way, I turned around and went again to Bukkapatnam.
They had put her (body) on the veranda and covered it with a cloth. The people of that house were grieving a lot. She was there. I went. I gave My word. No matter what the situation, that word cannot be taken back. Then I went there and took off the cloth. Many ants were there. It was a dead body. I took off (the cloth) and I said, “Subbamma!” She opened her eyes. (Applause) All the ones who were in Bukkapatnam came saying, “Subbamma is alive, alive, alive!”
The mother of Subbamma was 100 years old. She was also suffering a lot. Then I told her, “Bring water and put a tulasi leaf in it.” I poured the tulasi water in her mouth, making her drink the water. I said, “Subbamma, I have fulfilled the word that I gave you. Now go joyfully.” “What else do I want, Swami? I am going joyfully.” While shedding tears and smiling, she held both of My hands and said, “I am going, I am going, I am going.” Subbamma left her life in that way.
I won't go back on the promise I give. Subbamma also did so much seva. In the Incarnation of Krishna, Yashoda (His foster parent) had more love than the love of Devaki (His biological mother).
Here there was Easwaramma and Subbamma: both used to talk through the windows (of their respective houses). This is because both their husbands had hatred for one another. She (Easwaramma) should not go that side and she (Subbamma) could not go this side. Therefore, they used to talk through the windows. Both of them had such love (for each other). In this way, the parents were selected for this Body.

Then Pedda Venkamma Raju (Swami’s father). He was staying here in Puttaparthi and used to give help to the devotees. If someone wanted a coconut or lentils, he used to go running to Bukkapatnam and bring these. He also did so much seva.
Finally before he died, he came to Prasanthi Nilayam. I had selected people for an interview and had them sit (inside). When I was on the chair, he came and stood. When I asked, “Why did you come?” He said, “There is a little work.” I said, “Come inside. What work is it?”
“Swami, I shouldn’t be in debt to anyone. I shouldn’t owe anyone. The debt must be paid. When I was doing the business I might have cheated people of a few coins. So in order to remove that sin, see, I worked hard and earned this.” Saying that, he put 500 rupees into My Hand.
He said, “I kept five bags of rice and two bags of jaggery, give all of this food to poor people on my 12th day.” (Note: the tradition is to feed the poor on the 11th or 12th day after a relative’s death.) In that way, he also talked very well. He went form here, he lay down and he died.

Then, Easwaramma: the Summer Course was going on in Bangalore. She came to the Summer Course, saying, “Wherever Swami is, I have to come there.” She came to the Summer Course. As all the children and students came there, she used to see all of them and be so joyful, paapam! When all of them were eating, she also came to pour water and make them drink. “In our day we never did like this. Swami is showing us so much good fortune. This is all our praapti.” Saying this, she was so happy.
One day, she ate tiffin. They were serving tiffin to all the children in the summer classes. She also had tiffin and she took coffee. Venkamma was with her. Venkamma used to look after her then. After doing everything, she used to crush betel nut and eat it, paapam! As it was being crushed, I could hear the sound upstairs.
From below she called, “Swami, Swami, Swami!” I said, “I'm coming, I'm coming!” I said that I was coming. I came downstairs and she left her life. There was no suffering at all. There wasn’t even eye pain, leg pain or headache. Both of them went like that. So, they were all ones whom Swami selected, therefore all of their lives was so sacred and sanctified.

Ramesh and Paresh were like that also. They were very close to Swami. They were 11 years old and 13 years old. Even those small children had so much attachment and so much love.
If their parents had any clothes sewn for them, I had no money. I never took from anyone. Then once Ramesh brought two pairs (of newly sewn clothes) and put one pair in my desk and left. He said, “Raju, if you don’t take this, I will leave my life.”
(I told him,) “We should not develop our love with such relationships. Heart to heart and heart to heart. Love to love. This is our relationship, but relationships of give and take are not permanent at all.” I used to also be like that. Hence, from those days till today I won't accept anything at all.
Now also meals come from that house. Now there is the son of Seshama Raju. Then you know there is also Easwaramma’s son Janakiramayya. His wife is also present. She (P) cooks and brings (food). Parvatamma’s daughter also cooks and brings it. In this way all of them are always taking part in Swami’s seva.
Up until today also, I won't touch anything (food) at night. As soon as getting up in the morning, they bring food from their houses. In this way, I keep very safely their close and interrelated relationship with Me. I will never do any (harm) to anyone. I say:

Help ever, hurt never.

I will never give any suffering to anyone. Hence this close and interdependent relationship is present in that family. In a few Incarnations they love and desire. However, I am not like that. I desire them and make them to be born (with Me) (Applause). “She should be My mother, he should be My father,” saying that, I Myself desire and give them birth. Therefore, this Body has not taken birth in an ordinarily way and with ordinary relationships.
Up till today also, I never did any type of harm to anyone. If I do good to others, I am blissful. Therefore, to all devotees:

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu.

May all in the world be happy.
(Sanskrit sloka)

All should be well. All should be blissful. All should be comfortable. No one should give suffering to anyone. Like this, I am spreading Swami’s nature of Love throughout the world.
My big property is the college children. (Applause) The primary school, college and higher secondary school, all the children are with Me. They cannot remain without Me and I cannot remain without them. Hence, all of my Love (is for the) people. The happiness of the people is My life.
Therefore, wanting to inform you fully of My nature, Monday October 20th, the reason for coming is this only. I wouldn’t celebrate the Birthday, but the devotees won't let Me be. They say, “Swami, this is the Birthday, this is the Birthday, it should be celebrated!”
I don’t like anything at all. The happiness of all is my Birthday. I don’t have any special Birthday. Your Birthday is My Birthday. (Applause) So, though bodies are different, there shouldn’t be these kind of (dual) feelings.

All are One, be alike to everyone.

Therefore, these types of close and mutual relationships with Me are not brought about by the world. These are all obtained through Love.

Itallic: garu, applause

Bhagavan ended His Divine Discourse by chanting the bhajan, ‘Prema Muditha Mana Se Kaho…’